Saturday 18 June 2011

Mor Kozhambu

Uhm, Not like I'm here to clean cobwebs or anything but I finally cooked something after months of eating food served to me.

There was some curds leftover from a week back when mom was here and I couldn't get myself to flush it down, so I decided to look up how to make Mor Kozhambu, the Meenkashi Ammal way.

You will need:

2 1/2 cups of sour curd (If it isn't sour enough, leave it for a week and come back for it :D )
One handful of grated coconut
4 to 5 green chillies (I didn't have any, so I switched it with some dried red chillies)
1 spoon cumin seeds
1 spoon of Kadalai Paruppu
1/2 spoon Thoor Dal
1/2 spoon raw rice
(Soak the dal and rice in water for 5 minutes)
10 - 12 curry leaves
Mustard for garnishing

Whip the curd with some water for a few minutes (to make it a smooth liquidy buttermilk). Keep it aside.
Make a fine paste of the coconut, chillies, cumin seeds, some of the curry leaves and the soaked rice/dal. Add the paste to the butter milk and a pinch of salt and heat it on medium flame. Sitr continuously so the curd doesn't curdle. Bring it to boil. Add the rest of the curry leaves.
Take off flame. Heat some gingelly oil, add some mustard seeds and some broken red chillies and add the tadka to the Mor Kozhambu.

Serve with hot rice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment