Thursday 7 April 2011

Vathal Kuzhambu

You will need:

One big lemon sized ball of tamarind
1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp thoor dal
5 dried red chillies (halved)
A sprinkle of Asafoetida
Fresh curry leaves - 10 leaves
Manathangaalikaai/Sundakai/Avarakaai/Kathirkai/Kothavarkai/Paavakai vathal
4 -5 tsps of gingelly oil

Heat oil in a heavy bottom vessel. Temper mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dried red chillies, raw thoor dal, asafoetida.
Add curry leaves and the vathal. Saute.

Add 2 1/2 cups of tamarind water and a pinch of salt. I cheated and added some jaggery at this stage. I love the subtle sweetness that compliments the tamarind.
Keep it on heat till it reduces to about 2 cups.
Add 1 tsp of rice flour. (This helps to thicken the whole thing) I didn't have rice flour, so I add a spoon of maida and a sprinkle of corn flour.
Bring to boil and remove from heat. (I left it on for a while longer. I like my vathal kuzhambu to be really thick, so I let it sit for ten more minutes)

Serving Suggestions:
Serve hot with fresh hot rice and fried appalams. To enhance the taste of the kuzhambu and to bring in a unique flavor, you can add some fried appalams to the kuzhambu and let it soak for about 15-20 minutes before serving the kuzhambu.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. A small tip - you could use 1/2 tsp of castor oil/vilakennai in the end and stir. This adds a lot of flavour to the kuzhambu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for that tip. Will try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete